Pages

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Teaching our children

This past weekend my eldest turned 11. Where has the time gone? He is already counting down to when he will be driving and fully embracing this growing up thing while his momma is nearly frozen with panic as I realize my chubby cheeked baby boy is no more. I keep telling him I am not ready to be the mother of a teenager so he better stop growing right now. Part of me grieves as he leaves the innocent part of his childhood behind (no more Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy) and another part is fearful of the upcoming changes of puberty and how that will change our relationship. There is a small, yet proud part of my heart, that sees the wonderful man he will one day be and I pray that he will continue to seek God's will for his life.
Proudly showing off his silver medal from Calgary Youth Science Fair last month
and in need of a haircut :-o

Almost daily I am reminded of how precious the time is that our children are ours to teach and with my son turning 11 I feel this window beginning to close. School, friends, and teams become greater influences as he becomes old enough to independently be in situations not directly under my supervision. This is when I need to remember to turn him back over to the Lord and pray that I have done my job of mother well. It is hard not to worry but God is bigger then all my fears and He is watching over my children. My 3yo often says, "I was scared and then I remembered God was with me and I knew I could do it." This could apply to a dark room, the climbing wall at the playground, a bad dream, or any other moment she feels hesitant. She is so secure in her belief that God is physically with her that it refreshes my faith and encourages me that maybe I am doing something right.

I often feel overwhelmed with everything I want to instill in my children and whether it is working or not but one lesson I have learned is that I do better when I choose one or two things to really focus on and be consistent with those. We sort of cycle through a couple of skill sets as I attempt to raise my children in a way that is honoring to God. Some areas we focus on are:

  • Ways to connect and spend time with God
    • devotions
    • bible stories
    • prayers
    • Sunday services
  • Loving one another and ourself
    • intentionally saying "I love you" everyday to each family member
    • acts of service both within our family and for others
    • recognizing our individual value
    • self-maintenance
  • Homemaking
    • chores
    • routines
    • work skills
    • menu planning and meal preparation
  • Arts/extra-curricular
    • piano lessons
    • hockey
    • dance
    • skating
    • gymnastics
    • swimming
These are the bigger picture areas of focus but in addition to these I am daily doing my best, with God's guidance, to teach my children the little things too. Things like serving joyfully, showing respect, being patient and kind.

What are some things you desire to teach your children? How do you do this?

"These words I am commanding you today must be kept in mind, and you must teach  them to your children and speak of them as you sit in your houseas you walk along the road,   as you lie down, and as you get up." Deuteronomy 6:6-7

Please visit these other sites I have linked up with
 Time Warp WifeTeach Me TuesdayHeart + Home Link up
Wise Woman Link upEncourage One Another Link up

No comments:

Post a Comment