Pages

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Jumping in Puddles

Yesterday was a rainy day and as usual I felt divided about it. The grey clouds are gloomy and make me feel like Eeyore when he has lost his tail. I am sluggish and completely lacking in motivation. Housework? Yeah right, not likely. I even avoided going home after preschool pickup so I wouldn't have to cook lunch and also so I wouldn't just crawl back in to bed. I feel like I have been rolled in the mud and am floating around to the tune of "I'm just a little black rain cloud". Much like the beloved Pooh I am seeking the sweet stuff of life, the honey but meanwhile I'm dripping gloom wherever I go.

On the flip side, as I dress my kids in their rain coats and boots, I recall the fun of playing in the rain, jumping in puddles, getting wet and not caring. There is something freeing about this simple activity and the pleasure derived from bouncing like Tigger or Roo. Almost like the rain blocks out the rest of the world and their judgement and even if only for a moment you truly can dance like no one is watching.

As the days get shorter and we head into winter, I know that my struggle with these Eeyore days has just begun. I have been here before and so have learned ways to get through but this time I will choose to dance in the rain and not hide from it. I will jump in the puddles of life and by doing so I hope to teach my kids to be fearless, to have the confidence to face any challenge, and to chase their dreams regardless of what the world tells them.


No comments:

Post a Comment